Roasted Mushroom, Arugula, Ricotta Salata and Pea Pesto Sandwich
A delicious vegetarian option! Frozen peas are great to use because they are frozen at the peak of freshness.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 1/2 c Ricotta Salata
- 1/4 c pea pesto (recipe follows)
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
Pea Pesto Ingredients:
- 5 oz peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
In a blender, combine all ingredients except for the oil. With the machine running slowly drizzle in the oil until smooth and well-combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet and douse with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Wash and dry arugula and crumble the ricotta Salata.
- Smear each piece of bread with the pesto and top each sandwich with one mushroom cap, a handful of arugula and half of the cheese.
- Slice and serve.