Spring Pea Falafel
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh (or thawed frozen) peas
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Working in 2 batches, grind the split peas to a powder in a spice grinder. In a food processor, pulse the thawed peas a few times.
- Add the ground split peas, onion, flour, parsley, garlic, coriander, cumin, baking powder, cayenne, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of salt and process until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 12 falafel patties using a scant 1/4 cup per patty. Refrigerate until firm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the falafel patties in two batches to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned, crisp, and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- You can serve these immediately aside a fresh salad or in pita bread with your favorite hummus or a cucumber yogurt sauce with fresh mint. You can also store and reheat in the oven at 400 degrees for about 7-10 minutes.