Even as we’re practicing social distancing, we continue to see great examples of how life happens around food.
Instead of the corporate lunches, we’re seeing teams enjoy video conference lunches; instead of big dinner parties, families are having home-cooked meals together; and instead of packing bars at happy hours, friends are toasting each other virtually.
With more people cooking at home, we’re collecting recipes from our Great Performances’ team members, families, friends and partners to share with you and provide some inspiration for delicious dishes you can make at home.
Share your quarantine recipes and photos with us: tag us on social media #gpcovidcooking, direct message @gpfood or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PUMPKIN DAL OVER BROWN RICE
Although I usually make this dish with red lentils, I substituted for canned lentils I found in my pantry, which worked just as well!
Recipe provided by Great Performances’ Nutrition Partner and Embrace Wellness Program Director
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed (can substitute for one can of prepared lentils)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cubed pumpkin
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 4 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- If using canned lentils, drain and rinse and proceed to step 2. For dry lentils, rinse and add to a medium saucepan with water over medium-high heat. Cover and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and the minced garlic and auté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add an additional cubed pumpkin, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, spices and salt. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes until the pumpkin softens and the tomatoes fall apart. Stir every couple of minutes to prevent burning.
- Drain lentils add to the skillet. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the dish reaches the desired consistency. Stir in the lime juice.
- For a family-style dish, serve over brown rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.