Thanksgiving Green Tomato and Walnut Chutney
A great change of pace from the classic cranberry relish.
- 5 cups Green Tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Onions, finely sliced
- 1 medium-size fresh Jalapeno, sliced
- 1 cup Cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 cup Walnut pieces
- 2 tbsp whole Coriander Seeds
- 3 whole Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 cups Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups light Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Grate Fresh Ginger (grated with microplane)
- Zest and Juice of 2 lemons (zest grated on microplane and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- Add tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, walnuts, coriander seeds, cardamom pods, raisins, vinegar, & sugar to a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Cook until thickened to your taste. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cilantro, lemon zest, & ginger. Stir. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and lemon juice. Cool. Serve cool or at room temp. Great with Roast Turkey!!
Try this not-so-basic roast chicken recipe featuring a sweet and savory parsnip, apricot, and apple ragout for Rosh Hashanah.