BUTTERNUT SQUASH FARROTTO KIT
Find a ready-to-take-home kit at any of our partner cafes and restaurants around town!
Our farrotto kit is the start of a delicious homemade dinner, as tasty as it is simple to prepare.
Farro is an ancient grain with a nutty flavor and chewy texture that can be prepared like a risotto. We’ve added our own blend of herbs, to get the recipe started. This season, we suggest butternut squash for its natural sweetness and smooth texture. But the Great Performances Farrotto Blend (farro, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, thyme, and sage) would be delicious with any number of winter vegetables, such as carrot and celery, or root vegetables including beets, parsnips, turnips and more, not to mention mushrooms. What’s in your fridge?
Butternut Squash Farrotto Kit Recipe
By Georgette Farkas, Culinary Ambassador
- 1 cup GP Farrotto Blend*
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (find pre-cubed squash in the produce section of your grocery store)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock, warmed to a simmer
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 cup radicchio, halved and thinly sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
*GP Farrotto Blend contains farro, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, sage, and thyme
- 12 ¼-inch slices butternut squash roasted with olive oil, thyme, and sage
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
PREPARE THE FARROTO
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add cubed squash and cook, stirring until squash is quite soft. Take your time with this step, as cooking the squash thoroughly will bring out its natural sweetness and enable it to melt into the farroto. Add farrotto blend and cook, stirring, until farro is very lightly toasted. Add white wine (optional) and continue to cook, stirring, until wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add 1 cup warm vegetable stock and cook, stirring occasionally over low flame. Continue to add vegetable stock, a little at a time, cooking the farro until al dente and the stock is absorbed. Amount of stock needed may vary. Once farro is cooked through, fold in finely sliced radicchio (optional) and cook just until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to warm serving plates or platter and serve.
OPTIONAL: Garnish with slices of roasted butternut squash and sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds.