BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE POTS DE CRÈME
This is really just a very grown-up version of a rich and very dark chocolate pudding. Make it your own with more or less bourbon and espresso, or leave these out entirely if you prefer. If you like your chocolate a little less bitter, reduce the quantity of unsweetened chocolate from five to four ounces. Bake in just about any small oven proof porcelain or glass cup, from espresso or tea cups or coffee mugs to classic souffle ramekins. While you may need only two portions for Valentine’s Day dinner, you won’t regret making the whole recipe to carry you through Valentine’s week.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbs sugar
- ¼ cup espresso (or ½ tsp granulated instant espresso)
- 1 Tbs bourbon
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup whipped cream as garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat, bring cream to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, espresso, bourbon and salt. Whisking constantly, slowly pour warm chocolate mixture into yolks.
- Divide mixture among espresso cups or small ramekins, filling each about two thirds of the way, so as to leave room for whipped cream garnish later. Place in a roasting pan on center rack of oven. Add hot water to pan so that it reaches halfway up sides of cups. Cover with foil and use a fork to prick holes in foil.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until edges are lightly set but center is still runny. Baking time will vary according to cup size. Mixture will continue to set as it cools. Remove cups from roasting pan and let cool approximately 30 minutes, then refrigerate.
- The dessert is best enjoyed room temperature, not ice cold. Remove from refrigerator about one hour prior to serving. Top with whipped cream or serve whipped cream on the side.
March Food Festival: Beet Pickled Eggs
This March we’re celebrating Preservation with Liz’s very own Beet Pickled Eggs recipe.
Great Performances’ Vegan Chili Recipe
This vegan chili recipe is the perfect way to keep warm this winter.
Roasted Butternut Squash Puree with Miso Recipe
Georgette Farkas shares her recipe for this silky smooth butternut squash puree – a wonderful accompaniment for any meal.
Cranberry Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
Georgette Farkas shares this tender braised red cabbage recipe; the perfect accompaniment to duck or pork or just about any kind of sausages.
Bittersweet Chocolate Pots de Crème Recipe
Georgette Farkas shares her recipe for this very grown-up version of a rich and very dark chocolate pudding to share with your special someone.
February Food Festival: Carrot & Napa Cabbage Kimchi Recipe
This February we’re celebrating Kimchi with a Carrot & Napa Cabbage Kimchi Recipe by Chef Rachel John.
Star Anise Braised Pork Belly Tacos Recipe
Chef Rachel John shares her very own Star Anise Braised Pork Belly Tacos Recipe, paired perfectly with her Kimchi recipe.
Vegan(ish) Butternut Squash with Kimchi
Try this Vegan(ish) Butternut Squash Recipe by Chef Rachel John – topped with her Carrot & Napa Cabbage Kimchi.