Image © Visions of Sugar Plum
1 cup Vegetable shortening
1 3⁄4 cups Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 Eggs, separated
1 cup Cold water
1⁄3 cup Pureed Katchkie Farm tomatoes. Keep the seeds and skins; keep it easy!
2 1⁄2 cups Cake flour
1⁄2 cup Cocoa powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Fresh fruit, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour two 8 1/2 inch cake pans.
3. Cream together the shortening and sugar.
4. Beat in the vanilla and egg yolks.
5. Mix in the cold water and pureed tomatoes.
6. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into egg/tomato mixture.
7. Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
8. Mix dry mixture into wet.
9. Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
10. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
11. Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting with chocolate buttercream icing.
12. Garnish with fresh seasonal fruit. We recommend peaches!