Yield 1 qt.
2/3 lb sunchokes, cleaned and cut into 1/2 dice
2 cups water (for cleaning sunchokes) and 2.5 oz water (for slurry)
1 small Vidalia onion, finely diced
1 small red pepper, diced into ¼-inch pieces
1/2 cup mustard powder
1/2 cup flour
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 and ½ tsp whole mustard seeds
½ tsp celery seeds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) In a bowl combine sunchokes with salt and 4 cups water. Let stand 1 hour.
2) Drain sunchokes and return to bowl. Add onion and red pepper and toss. Transfer vegetables to a nonreactive saucepan.
3) In a small bowl combine dry mustard, flour and 5 ounces water to make a slurry.
4) In a large saucepan combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Whisk in the slurry and stir until thick and smooth, about 10 minutes. Add sunchokes to the mix and simmer another 10 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and transfer the mix into a nonreactive container to cool.
6) Store in refrigerator for at least two days before using.
The relish is great with cheese, on a burger,
with grilled pork or meaty fish, such as swordfish.