1lb of beef
1/2 cup of oil
Water as needed
1 large scallion, diced
4-5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4-5 malanga (taro), peeled and chopped
2 butternut squash or one medium pumpkin (or half of a large pumpkin), peeled and chopped
3 turnips, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
3-4 medium carrots, chopped
Half a box of penne pasta (or combination of spaghetti, linguine and penne)
4 parsley sprigs
1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
Meat seasoning spices:
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme
2 shallots, diced
1 tsp Adobo® seasoning salt
1 Maggi® chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp lime juice
1) Add four tablespoons of oil to a heated pot. Add diced scallions.
2) Sauté the meat for about one minute in the heated pot. Make sure to lower the fire when done.
3) Peel and cut the potato, malanga, carrots, and turnip into 3 to 4 pieces and put into pot with the meat. Add a little water and cover the pot. Increase the heat and cook for 10-15 min.
4) In a separate pot cook the pumpkin or squash with a small amount of water for about 15 min. Steam until cooked thoroughly.
5) Remove pumpkin or squash from the pot. Use some of the cooking water to blend or mash into a purée.
6) Mix boiled water (as needed) or water left from the steamed pumpkin/squash with the purée until you have a thick stock.
7) Add parsley and thyme to the purée.
8) Add uncooked pasta or spaghetti to meat and vegetables for about 5 min, then add the pumpkin/squash purée.
9) Add the purée to the meat and vegetable mix. Let it all cook for about 15-30 min.
Taste soup and add salt and pepper as needed.