1 lb rutabaga, peeled and sliced thin
1 lb Idaho potato, peeled and sliced thin
8 oz kale, shredded
2 oz shallots, brunoise
4 cloves garlic, confit
1 tbsp thyme
2 cups Gruyère cheese
3 oz butter
1 oz olive oil
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 sachet garni – cloves, cinnamon, star anise, rosemary stem & parsley stem
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Heat olive oil in sauté pan on medium heat. Add garlic confit and brunoise shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté for 2 more minutes.
2) Season with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice. Pull off heat and reserve.
3) In pot, steep heavy cream seasoned with maple syrup and sachet, then reserve.
4) Butter bottom of baking tray, then layer rutabaga and potatoes on bottom. Between each set of layers add seasoned cream and grated cheese. Halfway through layer the kale.
5) When complete sprinkle cheese and thyme on top. Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.
Photo courtesy of Flickr