It's never too late for another tomato recipe...right?
This tomato bread pudding is the ultimate homey dish. I love cooking because I believe it's the number one thing that makes my apartment, a home. Cooking is my way of feeling wrapped up in comfort and love. Perhaps some of you guys feel similarly, especially after enjoying this decadent dinner.
3 pounds Roma Tomatoes (all those red oval guys you've been receiving)
5 sprigs of Thyme
1 tablespoon Fresh or dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried Fennel seed
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 head of Garlic
1 loaf of Bread (country-style Italian, sourdough, rye, etc.)
2 cups Whole milk
1 cup Heavy cream
2 cups grated Fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano
Scallions for garnish
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Half the tomatoes lengthwise and toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped thyme, oregano, and fennel seed.
3. Cut 1/4 from the top of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves, wrap the whole head in foil. Arrange the tomatoes and garlic on a baking pan and cook for 50-60 minutes, until tomatoes are browned and juicy. Cool garlic after cooking and remove skin.
4. Toss cubed bread in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange on pan and cook in oven (still at 400 degrees) for 25 minutes. Afterwards, reduce oven to 350 degrees.
5. Whisk together milk, heavy cream, egg, mashed roasted garlic, salt, pepper, and cheeses. Pour mixture over bread in a baking pan. Scatter tomatoes in between bread cubes, and bake until firm and golden brown, about 50 minutes. Top with beautiful sliced green scallion.
This is great for a main dish with a side salad or to take to a potluck.