Pumpkin Spice Biscuit
1 ¾ cup All Purpose flour
2 tsps. Baking soda
4 tsps. Ground cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1 tsp. Ground ginger
½ tsp. Kosher Salt
1 2/3 cup Sugar
1 ¼ cup Pumpkin purée
1 cup Butter, melted
· Sift together flour, baking soda and spices. Add salt and sugar.
· Beat together eggs, and purée. Add dry ingredients to purée mixture.
· Gradually incorporate melted butter into batter.
· Spread batter between 3 heavily oiled 9x9 baking sheets.
· Bake 350 ºF for 8 minutes.
Pumpkin Caramelia Ganache
1 cup Valrhona Caramelia milk chocolate
1 tbs. Butter
½ cup Heavy cream, warm
¼ cup Pumpkin purée (Sysco)
1 tsp. Coffee extract (Trablit)
· Melt together milk chocolate and butter over a double boiler with a hand blender.
· Emulsify warm cream into chocolate mixture.
· Emulsify purée and coffee extract into chocolate mixture.
· Ganache should be smooth and glossy.
Banana Pastry Cream
3 cups Milk
1 Vanilla bean
8 oz Sugar, divided
3 oz Corn starch
8 Egg yolks
1 cup Banana purée
Pinch of Salt
Splash of Vanilla extract
· Bring milk to a boil with the split and scrapped vanilla bean.
· Whisk the sugar, corn starch and flour together with the egg yolks.
· Temper in a little of the milk and whisk thoroughly.
· Add egg mixture to the milk. Return to a boil, whisking thoroughly.
· Strai, and hand blend in the butter, banana, salt and vanilla extract.
1 ½ qt Sugar
Splash Corn Syrup
3 cups Cream
· In a heavy bottom sauce pot, combine sugar and corn starch with enough water to make the consistency of wet sand.
· Cook the sugar mixture without stirring over medium flame until it becomes a dark rosy color. Remove from heat.
· Carefully stir in the cream and whisk to combine.
· Return to the fire to bring to a boil. Boil two minutes.
· Keep Warm.
One hour ahead - Bake cake, make ganache and make custard. Allow all to cool to room temp,
On a decorative square cake plate or a tray larger than 9x9:
o Remove one Pumpkin Spice Biscuit layer from the cake pan and place on the center of the cake plate.
o Spread a layer of chocolate ganache on the cake layer, approximately 1/8 of an inch thick.
o Spread a layer of banana pastry cream over the layer of ganache, approximately ¼ of an inch thick.
o Top with a layer of Pumpkin Spice Biscuit. Press down.
o Spread a second layer of chocolate ganache on the cake layer, approximately 1/8 of an inch thick.
o Spread a second layer of banana pastry cream over the layer of ganache, approximately ¼ of an inch thick.
o Top with the third layer of cake. Chill cake for two hours.
o Make the Caramel Sauce. Allow to cool to room temp.
o Pour ¾ of the Caramel Sauce over the entire cake. Refrigerate to set.
o Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds, banana chips and crunchy chocolate chips.
Use reserved Caramel Sauce to paint a strip on the plate. Slice cake and place on top of the caramel strip. Sprinkle additional seeds and chips on the plate.