I've been using my CSA beets every week in smoothies. Each Wednesday after completing the Katchkie Farm CSA delivery day, I go home, pre-heat the oven and roast my beets for the week. These ruby red and sun-kissed yellow gems are rarely introduced into my refrigerator without a roasting before hand. Since roasting beets takes about 45 minutes, doing it in advance takes a huge chunk of time out of most recipes.
This week I'm determined to stray away from beet smoothie and introduce my roasted beets to dinner time. Although the season for fresh tomato sauce has ended, winter crops prevail and coat your pasta ever so lovingly.
This week, when you're unloading your CSA goodies, try roasting all your beets at once and rejoice in the natural high commonly known as meal prep.
4 Roasted beets
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 sprigs Thyme
3 Cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 yellow onions
juice from 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onions, thyme sprigs, crushed red pepper, and bay leaves in olive oil until translucent.
2. While onions cook, combine previously roasted beets, garlic, balsamic vinegar, grated Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
3. Transfer beet mixture into sauce pan with onions. Stir in cream, vegetable stock and lemon juice.
4. Let beet sauce simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
5. Pour over penne pasta and serve with extra grated cheese on top.