Usually you have to pry me away from bread; I'm not one to ever leave it out of recipes. Sometimes you just have to use up those veggies. Let's do it in a delicious way.
These little eggplant mini pizzas are perfect for your end-of-summer get togethers. This is an easy and fun recipe to get kids or guests of any age involved.
1 Eggplant- cut into 1 inch slices
3 Cloves garlic
2 Cups mozerella
1 Pint of cherry tomatoes- cut in half
1 Bunch of shredded fresh basil
Crushed red pepper, salt to taste
1/2 cup of spicy pepper pesto (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Line eggplant rounds on baking sheets and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
3. Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with minced garlic, shallot, salt, and crushed red pepper. Brush the olive oil mixture on the cooked golden eggplant slices.
4. Turn the oven to the broil setting. Assemble eggplant pizzas with mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes. Place the pizzas in the oven for 5-8 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
5. Finish pizzas with fresh basil and dollops of spicy pepper pesto (optional). Serve with a light crisp salad.