Since I've started receiving Katchkie Farm's incredible CSA vegetables, I've began to experiment with just how much of the produce I could use. When working with vegetables this fresh, it's borderline depressing to throw any out.
This slaw has great texture since it incorporates the stalk and florets of broccoli. Give it a try!
1 Head and stalk of broccoli
1 Shallot- minced
2 Tablespoons miso paste
2 Tablespoons grated ginger
1 Bunch chopped mint, basil, and cilantro
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil
1 tablespoon sriracha
Juice and zest of 1 orange
Salt to taste
Scallions and sesame seeds for serving
1. Using a corse grater or food processor, shred broccoli stems and carrots
2. Whisk together shallots, miso paste, oil, rice vinegar, salt, orange juice and zest, sriracha and ginger. Season to taste.
3. Cut up broccoli florets and add to bowl with shredded carrots and broccoli stems.
4. Pour sauce over vegetables and mix with hands. I always prefer to use my hands when mixing salads to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
5. Toss in cilantro, basil and mint. Top with sesame seeds and scallions.
This salad gets better the longer it sits so feel free to make it ahead of time.