A great way to use up any stray vegetables in your fridge!
1 onion, minces
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Extra virgin olive oil
½ cup white wine
1 cup diced tomatoes
7 cups of water
1 cup of chicken stock
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch basil
1 bunch Swiss chard
5 - 6 eggs
Toasted Italian or French bread
Hot pepper flakes
1. In large, deep sauté pan or large frying pan add extra virgin olive oil, onions, salt and pepper and sauté onions on low flame for 10 minutes.
2. Add celery and carrots and continue to sauté until tender for another 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
3. Add garlic and brown for a few minutes.
4. Deglaze the pan with white wine.
5. Add diced tomatoes.
6. Add 7 cups of water, 1 cup of chicken stock, parsley and basil. Bring to a boil.
7. Once at a boil, add Swiss chard and bring to another boil.
8. Add 5-6 eggs and poach for 2 minutes, covered and at low heat.
9. Serve soup and greens in bowl along with a thick slice of toasted bread; place egg on top of the bread. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and red hot pepper, if you'd like.